Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Prayer Request - Daniel, Clementina, and Emmanuel

It was a tough day today.

Tomorrow (Tuesday) I fly into the Lesotho mountains and won't return to Maseru until next Monday, so today was a lot of running around to take care of smaller purchases and make sure things are ready to go. It doesn't seem like we have that much to do at each site but looking at the amount of food and tools and other supplies we need to bring for 6+ days it has become quite a list.

This afternoon Daniel came to the MAF hangar. Our closer friends and family know that Daniel worked in our yard when we lived here in 2008. Daniel (his Christian name -- his Basotho name is Lebohang Theko) had come to the gate looking for work. Many other men had come begging for food or money, but he wanted to earn his keep so I hired him to wash the car once a week. After a couple weeks this changed to gardening 1 day a week. Then after our house was robbed over Easter weekend of that year we hired Daniel as a night gaurd. His employment ended when we left Lesotho in August. MAF hired him as a cargo loader for the planes, but he was not kept after a 90-day evaluation period. I was not overly surprised by this -- he was not an exceptional worker. But he was an honest, genuinely nice guy who was just trying to support his family in a very difficult place to get ahead.

I was very happy to see my old friend today since I tried to find him this weekend but they had moved houses. He wanted me to see his new place and I offered to drive him home from the hangar (he had come to see if there was "a letter from Mr. Traig in America").

Daniel and his family were so happy to have me at their house this afternoon. His wife Clementina cried and cried. Right when she saw the car coming up the dirt road and realized it was me she began to cry. She kept asking Daniel in Sesotho if it was really "Mr. Traig". She did not believe I had come back to Lesotho.

At their home I learned that Clementina was one of 1800 people let go from the large textile factory here in Maseru and is working "piece jobs" (what we might call "odd jobs") doing some kind of ironing at night "for the Chinese" (not sure what this means). She earns about 700 Rand a month (~$80) which is currently their only income. Their rent is now 120 Rand (~$15) in the new place. It is a very nice, newer single-room dwelling, slightly larger than their old home, but without electricity. It is further out of town, which combined with the lack of electricity cxplains why it is cheaper rent (the previous house was 225 Rand a month). During the time Daniel worked for MAF he was able to purchase some furniture for their simple home, and a bicycle for his son. He is a good father and as a married couple and parents they appear to be doing OK.

I brought them some clothing from the States, mostly stuff for Clementina from Laura's sisters. Clementina looked so nice in the new clothes and was eager to try them on.

They were so happy to see me, but quite sad to learn my whole family was not coming back to Lesotho. We talked about my wife and our children, how my family was doing back home and specific memories from Lesotho. We also talked about their current financial situation and Clementina sat with me and cried heavily. She does not speak English very well but it was clear that it has been a very difficult few months since she lost her job. Daniel began to cry as well so he left the house and stayed outside a while -- it is not really acceptable for Basotho men to display emotion.

Daniel understands it is his responsibility to support this small family, and he never asked me for money or specific assistance. But I gave them what I had in my wallet, enough money to cover the next 4 months rent. I made it clear it was to cover the rent. Clementina asked if she could please use a very small amount of it for new shoes. Laura gave her the shoes she was wearing when we left 9 months ago. I think they were her only pair. I agreed - she could buy shoes but the rest was to cover the rent so they would not have to worry about that for a few months.

Their son Emmanuel is now 3 and although a happy child he seems to be going deaf. He does not hear them call to him. Watching him interact with us it seemed like he cannot hear much if at all. They are taking him to Queen 2 hospital tomorrow because they opened a new ears/nose/throat clinic (of some kind... scary.) Tonight I talked to one of the PIH doctors who said hearing loss in kids is extremely common here, another disease of poverty that should not exist. The kids get ear infections and simple antibiotics would take care of them but they don't have access to the drugs, so the infections just keep occurring until the ear drums rupture enough that they get scarred and shrink and ultimately the child has permanent hearing damage. This sounds like his situation so I fear he will have permanent hearing loss. Hopefully there is still time to treat his ears and they can get him some meds at the hospital this week.

I was so happy to see them but it was very hard afternoon. This can certainly be a miserable place. I don't know how Lesotho will ever rise above poverty, and it hurts to see this small family suffer with things that should not have to exist in our world anymore.

Please say a prayer for Daniel and his family. Pray that he would find work to support his wife and son. For their health and the health of Emmanuel. And for continued strength in their marriage and parenting. Please pray for them because I don't see how they can survive without God's help in their lives.

Sorry, a bit depressing I know but again I appreciate you reading this. Have a good week and stay safe.

Traig

No comments: