Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Trunks

I just finished sorting through some of the kid’s clothing. Our housekeeper always puts the laundry away despite me telling her it is a great chore for the kids, and often times we find that the clothing is mixed up. I was thinking about how when we set out on this journey, I spent hours going through clothing determining what would go and what would stay. We had 15 trunks and I needed to be very deliberate in what I packed. Countless times I though, “How will I ever get 6 people’s things into these trunks?” , packing and repacking, we did it! Toys, some food, and clothing, 14 trunks ready for Africa-one was filled with computer parts that Traig needed to bring.

Now I am ashamed of the amount we brought here, even more ashamed to admit we brought clothes that we have not even worn. I have been in my housekeeper’s home-very nice compared to those around hers-two rooms. Everything she owns would fit into less than 15 trunks. Over the weekend, Traig visited the home of a man he has befriended. Daniel is his name and he has a wife who 6 days a week, works a 10 hour shifts in the Gap clothing factory here in town making about 29 rand a day (about 4 dollars). A loaf of bread is 4.50 rand, a half gallon of milk 15 rand, and a kg of bananas 8 rand. So that is what a day’s labor would get their family at the store. He has been without steady employment for about a year and he washes cars to make money. They have a beautiful son, Emmanuel, who is 2.

Daniel’s home was smaller than our kitchen, and we do not have a large kitchen. There was one shelf with a few blankets, a small closet that held all their clothing-2 shirts for Daniel and a dress and shirt for his wife. A make shift table in one corner and a bed, her kitchen was a hotplate on the table. I have struggled with not having water on and off since our arrival, they had no sink to have water run to. No toys, except a small stuffed dog that Noah gave Emmanuel shortly after we met them. I was getting a bag of tomatoes from our garden to send home with Daniel and Noah said he didn’t think that Emmanuel would like tomatoes, he though he would like a toy. He then went to his room and returned with one of his stuffed dogs. A real sacrifice for Noah as he only brought Cry Dog’s best friends to Africa, (Cry dog is Noah’s favorite toy).

Everything they owned would not have filled one of our trunks. I struggle justifying how I have lived my life for the past 31 years and how I have raised my children. I hope they remember what they are seeing all around them and that they can some how grow up in America without succumbing to materialism there. May they know now and always that happiness, joy and peace come from God, not all the things that we try to fill our lives with.

Grace and Peace to All, Laura

“Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God. Blessed are you who hunger now, for you shall be satisfied. Blessed are you who weep now, for you shall laugh.”

Luke 6:20-22

5 comments:

Jim said...

this is what our boys realized the short time we visited Mexico while Ann was there as missionary internship for 9 months

lefobserver said...

HI FROM GREECE.
PLEASE,
CAN YOU ENTER IN MY BLOG IN ORDER TO TAKE THE FLAG OF LESOTHO AND IT IS WRITTEN IN MY MAP OF VISITORS?
THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
lefobserver.blogspot.com

Robin Doty said...

Hello Friedrichs,
Wow, we see stuff on TV about poverty and AIDS but to be there has to be life changing...and very difficult. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Robin

david santos said...

Hello Friedrichs,
I loved this post and this blog.
Have a nice day

Jim said...

glad to hear the poles came. the Lord teaches us patients in situations like that.
i think some pastors here could learn alot from those 2 pastors going where they are not really welcome. what men of God.